Volland General Store

A salvaged historic structure is reborn into the hub of a community.

View MoreLess

Volland, Kansas was founded in the late 1800s when Rock Island Railroad built a depot at the towns edge. On October 18, 1913 Kratzer Brothers Mercantile opened in Volland, built by brothers Otto and Bill. Filled with merchandise and serving as a post office with two telephone lines, the store quickly became a cultural hub for the surrounding community. After the store closed in 1971, the building sat empty for 30 years. In 2013, a couple from Kansas City purchased the building, deciding to turn it into an art gallery with a small living space serving as an artist’s retreat. While the roof, second and third floors had collapsed, the masonry shell was left structurally intact. The design team laid out a floor plan similar to the original: a large, open space at the front for events and exhibitions where the general store was, and a second-story living space at the back, above a catering kitchen and restrooms.
  • 2015
  • Architect, Fabricator
  • Volland, KS
  • 4,500 SF

Client

  • Patty Reece

Eldo Team

  • Principal: David Dowell, AIA
  • Fabrication Manager: Chris Burk
  • Project Architect: Ted Arendes, RA
  • Project Designer: Daniel Renner

Collaborators

  • Contractor: Don Hendricks
  • Structural and Masonry: DGM Consulting
  • Interior Design: George Terbovich

Artists

  • Mike Sinclair
  • James Woodfill

Awards

  • 2016 AIA Kansas Awards - Merit Award for Excellence in Preservation / Adaptive Reuse
  • 2015 AIA Kansas City Design Excellence Awards - People’s Choice Award
  • 2015 AIA Kansas City Design Excellence Awards - Citation

Press

Photography by

  • Mike Sinclair

Related

Volland General Store Fabrication
Volland House #1
Wabaunsee County Homestead
Willoughby Design Barn
Heavy Timber Mockups
Holbrook Loft
Crossroads Hotel